Suffolk Night Sky Photography Workshop
7:30pm until at least midnight in the Suffolk coast area
About Our Night Sky Photography Workshops
Night Sky Photography Workshops are hands on events out on location, designed to help you learn to photograph our beautiful night skies in all of their splendour. Our workshops cater for a mixed ability audience, from those with a very basic understanding of the manual controls on their DSLR camera, right through to those who are fully conversant with their camera in manual mode who wish to learn the intricacies of night sky photography. The workshops provide attendees with the essential knowledge required to overcome the specific challenges of night photography.
This workshop covers the following subjects:
- Methods to achieve correct focus (auto focus does not work in the dark!).
- Advice and guidance around image composition.
- How to calculate exposure times and why this is important in night sky photography.
- Demonstrate software used to locate night sky objects such as constellations, galaxies, nebula and the best visible parts our Milky Way galaxy.
- Information around how to plan for a night sky photography session.
- Demonstrate software used to generate star trail images.
- Information and demonstration of light painting techniques for foreground objects.
- Software, equipment and techniques that can be used to overcome some of the limiting factors of night sky photography (this will also enable you to experiment with imaging of Deep Sky Objects such as Nebula’s & Galaxies).
- Information around other night sky phenomena such as Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) and Noctilucent clouds including where to find data that can help to predict these phenomena.
There will be a maximum of 8 participants on our workshops with 2 tutors. Full hands on assistance will provided throughout the workshop event. The tutors will also be available to answer any questions that may arise.
A car will be essential as during the workshop you will be responsible for getting yourself from location to location. When you book onto our workshop you will receive an email from us detailing the locations of the shoot. A sat nav device or sat nav capable smartphone is advisable especially if you are unfamiliar with the Suffolk coast. Travel between locations will be in your own vehicles in convoy.
We strongly advise you to bring plenty of layers of clothing as there will be long periods of standing around.
Bring along a head torch, preferably with red illumination (red light does not effect night vision). Low cost head torches with a red LED function can be purchased from Amazon from as little as £5.99 – Suitable Headtorch
Refreshments and biscuits will be provided.
You will receive an in depth document containing information about everything covered during the workshop.
Essential Equipment –
- DSLR camera.
- Wide angle lens (anything from 10mm – 35mm).
- Spare batteries and memory cards.
- Sturdy tripod.
- Suitable and additional layers of clothing.
- Change for car parks.
- Sturdy footwear.
- Camera bag.
Optional Equipment (The following equipment is advisable, but not essential) –
- Remote or wireless shutter release.
- External Intervalometer (available from Amazon from as little as £10, advice on which is compatible with your camera can be provided in advance)
- Lens heater to keep condensation off the camera lens. (Available from our online shop )
You will receive a email 3 days before the start date of the workshop, this is to confirm the starting location because we need to plan and amend finer details. Please keep an eye on you spam folder as sometimes the first email we send you can end up in there.
- If you cancel up to two weeks prior to the event you will receive a full refund.
- If you cancel up to one week prior to the event you will receive a 50% refund.
- Cancellations received within one week of the event will unfortunately not be eligible for a refund
- This workshop is heavily weather dependant, because of this, Through the Lens Workshops reserve the right to cancel the event at short notice. Under these circumstances, customers have the option of moving their booking to an alternate Photography Workshop event or being refunded.
- Through the Lens Workshops reserve the right to cancel the event with a minimum of 1 weeks notice should there be insufficient bookings to make the course viable. Under these circumstances, you will be given the option of moving your booking to an alternate Photography Workshop event or being refunded.